A jade roller is a facial massage tool that is made from jade stone. Jade stones are believed to have healing properties and is naturally cool to the touch.
In general, jade rolling helps reduce puffiness, improves circulation, and helps your skin glow.
Most jade rollers have two ends – a larger side and a smaller side. The larger side is used for the larger areas of your face (cheese, jaw, forehead) and the smaller side is used for smaller areas of your face (under eyes, brows, etc.)
What Is Jade Rolling and Gua Sha?
Gua sha is a form of ancient Chinese medicine. In fact, the word means “scraping” in Mandarin. In practice, it means to use a specific tool to apply pressure and scrape the skin and muscles. This scraping is meant to relax the muscles, break up any tension or scar tissue, and increase blood flow under the skin.
It’s similar to a massage, but you can actually apply more pressure with the tool than you can with your hands (and your fingers won’t get sore and tired). The tool also makes it easier to massage your own face, neck and other body parts. Ultimately, we find that jade rolling and gua sha is a wonderful and easy way to practice self-care and reap some impressive benefits.
What Do You Use With A Jade Roller
You might be wondering if you actually need to use a moisturizer or massaging oil with a jade roller. And the answer is, yes!
Jade rollers work best when you use some sort of moisturizer on your skin first. You want your skin to be somewhat “slippery” so the roller can move easily and not tug too much on your skin.
So the best types of liquids/products to use are:
- Face oil: You may use any organic and non-comedogenic (non-pore-clogging) oils to have the best “glide”. We highly recommend jojoba oil as our favorite option that suits most skin types.
- Serum: If you don’t like oil/it doesn’t work for your skin, you could also use a serum. You want something that is highly moisturizing – opting for a hyaluronic acid content typically. Our anti-aging solid primer serums would be great for this! An even lighter option would be our milk lotions, but these do not provide a lot of “slip”.
- Moisturizer: Your last option would be a moisturizer. We again, recommend that you use something super hydrating. So our tallow butters would be a perfect match for this.
There are numerous benefits of jade rolling, but these are our top five favorite reasons:
1. Reduce puffiness.
Sometimes you wake up with extra water retention in your skin and your face and eyes might look puffy. Jade rolling is perfect for this. Since the stone is cool, it helps to reduce puffiness naturally! But the method you use to roll the stone across your skin also helps de-puff your face, we’ll also provide directions on that below.
2. Lymphatic drainage.
Another amazing benefit of jade rolling is lymphatic drainage. Jade rolling (as well as gua sha, which we offer the tool for that as well), helps to move the lymphatic fluid move easily through the entire lymphatic system and drain the fluid out. Lymphatic drainage also helps reduce toxins in the body and can reduce wrinkles and help with skin disorders.
3. Reduces wrinkles and fine lines.
Jade rolling is also great at reducing wrinkles and fine lines. It helps to break down stuck facia muscles and increase collagen production, which helps smooth out your wrinkles/fine lines. While it might not get rid of them completely, it can really help reduce the appearance.
4. Reduces jawline tension.
Our faces can carry a lot of tension, especially in the jawline area. I like to focus a lot of extra time on the jawline area to work out the tension. Think of it as a deep tissue massage for your face! You’re digging into those facial muscles, loosening them up, and reducing tension.
5. Glowing skin.
If you love that dewy facial glow, this could be a perfect thing to add to your routine. Because of all the benefits above, jade rolling will give your face a natural glow!
If you’re new to jade rolling, here are the simple steps to start incorporating this healthy practice in your daily life. (also check out our facial methods tab)
STEP ONE: Wash that beautiful face of yours (and sanitize/wipe off the jade roller)! You want a clean face before you jade roll.
STEP TWO: Moisturize! We like to use our tallow butters because it adds even more moisture, but if those don’t work for your skin, you can just use whatever moisturizer you like best.
STEP THREE: Roll it out!
Here’s an example of a routine for jade rolling. You can use this process, or focus on just the areas that you feel need the most support.
- Cheeks & jaw. Place the large end of the jade roller on your chin, apply medium pressure and roll it upward your ear. Repeat in the same spot 5 – 6 times, then move up along your cheek. Repeat on the opposite side.
- Forehead. Next, move up to your forehead. Starting in the middle of your forehead, use the large end to roll towards your ears. Repeat in the same motion 5 – 6 times then switch to the opposite side of your forehead.
- Under-eye area. Using the small end to focus on the under-eye area. Apply medium pressure and roll from the inner eye toward to outer corner. Repeat 10 – 15 times and switch to the other eye.
- Brows. Follow the same method as the under eyes, just above the eyes!
- Crow’s feet. Use the small end, apply medium pressure and move the small end of the roller rapidly up and down on the corner of your eye. Repeat on the other side.
- Jaw. Finish off using the small end of the roller to dig deep into the join of the jaw. Press hard, move back and forth and then use rapid rolling on spots that feel especially tight.
How often should you use a jade roller?
You can use a jade roller every day. As long as you’re being gentle, you really can’t overuse it. There is no better time of day, just wherever it fits into your skincare routine. We personally like to use ours in the morning to reduce puffiness and wake our skin up, and then again at night while reading in bed because it is super relaxing.
Do jade rollers actually work?
They do! You can search for before and after photos and you’ll see that the skin looks lifted, glows more, there’s less puff, and generally just looks healthier.
Should I keep my jade roller in the fridge?
You can keep a jade roller in the fridge, but it isn’t necessary. The jade stone itself is naturally quite cool and will work without being refrigerated. But if you want it extra cold, you can store it in the refrigerator in a sealed container or bag.
Do you put anything on a jade roller?
You don’t put anything directly on the jade roller. Instead, apply your moisturizer to a clean face, and then use the jade roller.
Can you use a jade roller on bare skin?
Again, it’s best not to use a jade roller on bare skin. It can pull and tug at your skin which we don’t want. By using an oil/serum/moisturizer, the roller will seamlessly glide across your skin and you’ll get the most benefits.
Which direction do you use a jade roller?
Always roll upward first, and then down towards your lymph nodes. The upward movement will ensure your lifting at the same time as you’re moving the fluid out.
When to use jade roller vs gua sha?
Think of jade rollers and gua sha as interchangeable. They have a lot of the same benefits and are both easy to use. We recommend using whichever one you like best!
When washing the tool after use, use warm, soapy water and a soft cloth. You can also soak the the tool in a bowl of warm water and soap for a few minutes to give it an extra deep clean and help wash away and stubborn product buildup or dirt. **BE EXTRA CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK – THESE ARE VERY FRAGILE!**
Approximate Weight: 2.3 oz
Approximate Dimensions: 5.5″ x 2.5″ x 0.75″