Watch The Nightfall Farm Tour starring their pasture-raised pigs! Click here
This page details all of the common yet often misunderstood ingredients we use to make our soaps and other products. We share what it is, where it comes from, and the main reason(s) why we use it. Listed from most-used to least-used, we did not include every one of the hundreds of our ingredients to save space, but only the ones we get a lot of questions about! (best viewed in desktop site mode if you are on a mobile device)
You can’t make soap without…
Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)
- Lye is a traditional, ancient ingredient necessary for soapmaking. The oldest soaps from Babylonian times were partially an accident of mixing rendered fats, water and hardwood ashes over a cooking fire.
- Old-Fashioned lye is made from filtering hardwood ashes with pure rainwater to produce a substance which, if filtered perfectly from any natural remnants, is scientifically called sodium hydroxide. Sodium hydroxide, also known as lye or caustic soda, is an inorganic compound with the formula NaOH. It is a white solid ionic compound consisting of sodium cations Na⁺ and hydroxide anions OH⁻ .
- We often get questions about why this isn’t listed as an ingredient on our soaps. This is because we describe our fats as “saponified”. Saponification is the chemical process in which oils or fats are mixed with a highly alkaline substance (such as lye – sodium hydroxide, or potash – potassium hydroxide) to produce a soapy substance.
- NO LYE is left in the final product! The old tales of homemade lye soap burning one’s skin was from poorly executed or untested batches of soap made without the proper tools and measurements. Today’s professional soaps are carefully measured and tested to insure no lye is left in the final product!
We Begin With 2 Ancient Beauty Secrets: Buttermilk & Animal Fats
Local, Pasture-Raised, Raw Buttermilk
Hand-Cultured Raw Buttermilk from good sources is high in Proteins, Minerals, Vitamins and Fatty Acids only unique to animals, such as: l-Lysine, Calcium, Vitamin A-Retinol, and balanced Omegas. Skin-Renewing and Anti-Aging Nutrients like Lactic Acid and other naturally-occurring Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) turn over skin cells faster and help nutrients penetrate the skin more deeply**.
- We only use fresh and raw buttermilk from local, pasture-raised cows. Buttermilk is fermented from farm-fresh Jersey cow’s milk, rich in buttery fats. These dairy heifers are personally inspected and hand-milked twice per day to ensure a quality product and healthy animals. We visit our dairy farm 1-3 times per week to check on the cows and learn from our farmer, whose milk has been independently certified as Grade-A.
- The milk is filtered, cultured in glass or stainless steel, and hand-stirred for 2 days until it has a thick kefir or thin yogurt consistency. This whole-fat buttermilk is the main liquid ingredient in all of our soaps.
- This kind of conscious sourcing and direct farming of our animal ingredients is what makes Perma-Earth so special ♡ Even our egg and honey soaps are made with ingredients sourced from our farm or within a short drive.
Local, Pasture-Raised, Non-GMO Lard
- Collagen-Boosting Local Pasture-Raised Lard helps to form keratin, the building blocks of skin, hair, and nails** This Hand-Rendered Lard (melted and filtered pork fat), is high in complete Omegas 3-6-9 fatty acids, B-Vitamins and especially Vitamin D3! You will find enormous Vitamin D3 levels in pasture-raised lard, one of the highest natural sources of this vitamin in the world. D3 (cholecalciferol) is also the most bioavailable form of fat-soluble D, meaning your body doesn’t have to convert it and can use it right away in the presence of fats.**
- Lard has a unique fatty acid content in that it contains high amounts of linoleic and linolenic acids, which are important omega fatty acids, responsible for hair growth and maintaining nutrients, cell-communication, skin conditioning, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Provides an extra clean yet moisturized and soft feeling in soaps. Adds an extra level of lather not found elsewhere in other animal fats! Perfect for making shampoo bars as other animal fats can be too heavy or less-suitable for haircare.
Local, Pasture-Raised, Grass-Fed Tallow
- Local, Pasture-Raised and Grass-Fed Tallow (rendered beef fat) is another ancient anti-aging skincare fat that many swear by and rave about. We make sure our sources are USA or Local and naturally raised outside on regenerative farms with plenty of access to seasonal grasses and local feed.
- Slightly higher in omega-3 fatty acids as cows subsist upon more grasses than pigs do. Also high in vitamin-D3, but not higher than pasture-raised lard.
- Heavily moisturizing with a creamy lather, tallow soaps are best for extremely dry skin. Tallow itself is not recommended for use in hair unless as an ultra-nourishing, leave-in conditioner or weekly treatment. Shampoos made with tallow tend to be too heavy and waxy feeling when compared to lard we have found.
- Makes a wonderful skin lotion that has helped many with skin issues like dryness and eczema.**
Certified Organic and Fair Trade
Before we get into the other basic ingredients, we need to know what these terms mean:
USDA & QAI Organic Certification
USDA and QAI certified organic products are grown and processed according to federal guidelines addressing, among many factors, soil quality, animal raising practices, pest and weed control, and use of additives. Organic producers rely on natural substances and physical, mechanical, or biologically based farming methods to the fullest extent possible.
Produce can be called organic if it’s certified to have grown on soil that had no prohibited substances applied for three years prior to harvest. Prohibited substances include most synthetic fertilizers and pesticides. In instances when a grower has to use a synthetic substance to achieve a specific purpose, the substance must first be approved according to criteria that examine its effects on human health and the environment.
Animals that produce meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products are not given antibiotics or growth hormones on an organic farm.
An organic production system is managed to respond to site-specific conditions by integrating cultural, biological and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance and conserve biodiversity.
Companies that handle or process organic food before it reaches grocery store shelves or restaurant kitchens must also be certified.
Food products that are certified organic by QAI have been verified to meet strictly defined standards issued by national and international standards issuing bodies, such as the USDA, or other independent agencies.
Fair Trade Certification
Members of the World Fair Trade Organization adhere to their ten principles of fair trade, which are:
- Opportunities for economically disadvantaged producers – Support for workers in moving from poverty to economic self-sufficiency
- Transparency and accountability (in management and commercial relations)
- Fair trade practices – Includes prompt payment of producers
- Fair payment – Prices, wages, and local living wages
- No child labor, no forced labor
- No discrimination, gender equity, freedom of association
- Good working conditions
- Capacity building – Improvement of productivity and management skills
- Promoting fair trade – Raising awareness, honest advertising and marketing
- Respect for the environment – Maximization of raw materials, sustainable sourcing, reduction of energy consumption, minimization of environment impact
Fair Trade Certified helps to ensure a level of quality is delivered and sustainable practices are in place. A 3rd party certification agency assures human rights are protected throughout every stage of production, workers experience fair working conditions, and farmers receive a fair wage of their output. Fair trade benefits farmers by providing better resources and supports a high level of social accountability.
100% Pure Lanolin (sheep’s wool oil)
- It’s a natural water repellant — the function of which is to waterproof the sheep. Lanolin also has anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that protect the sheep’s skin from infection. Derived from the animal’s oil glands, lanolin is a mixture of wool fat and 25-30% water.
- Lanolin has been used since ancient times for dry skin–from tight, cracked skin, to rough scaly patches.**
- It is lightweight, which helps it form a non-occlusive barrier, meaning it doesn’t smother skin or feel too heavy.**
- Incredibly healing with its emollient properties that soften and heal the aggravated skin areas by forming an oily layer on top of the skin.**
- Retains moisture with its ability to create a thick covering upon the skin’s surface**
- Helps heal chapped lips, perfect for lip balms**
- Cruelty-Free: made from tussah silk moth cocoons after they have naturally left them empty. Cruelty -Free – no silk moths were harmed in the making!
- Silk proteins have anti-aging and naturally softening properties for hair and skin**
- Silk has a unique amino acid sequence in which it binds with your skin’s own proteins to provide such a tightening, anti-aging effect**
Plant-Based Oils and Butters
Certified Organic Babassu Oil
- If you’ve been looking for an environmentally responsible alternative to palm oil, USDA Certified Organic Babassu oil may become your new favorite.
- Babassu oil is a tropical oil made from the seeds of the Babassu palm, a tree native to the rain forests of South America. Packed with antioxidants and healthy fats, it can boost the health of your skin and hair, moisturizing them without causing you to feel greasy or develop acne.
- This beautifully clear, light-yellow oil is higher in lauric acid than coconut oil, but looks and feels similarly. It also has another advantage over coconut oil in that it moisturizes the skin and hair while being lighter and less able to clog the pores.**
- Helps to bring relief to dry and itchy skin irritations such as eczema and psoriasis**
- Provides Lather
- Anti-Bacterial and Cleansing**
Cold-Pressed, Virgin, Unrefined, Certified Organic and Fair-Trade Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil is made by pressing either fresh or dried coconut pulp. The coconut is a fruit of the coconut palm, which is typically found in warmer regions. Our Coconut Oil originates from India, the Philippines, and Sri Lanka.
- Fair Trade Certified™ Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil supports quality products that improve lives and protect the environment.
- Anti-Bacterial and Cleansing**
- Provides Lather
Certified Organic and Fair-Trade Unrefined Shea Butter
- The shea tree grows naturally in the wild in the dry savannah belt of West and South from Senegal in the west to Sudan and South Sudan in the east, and onto the foothills of the Ethiopian highlands.
- Shea nut butter is taken from the Shea nut tree and physically extracted from the oily Shea nut kernels after the shells have been peeled, boiled and cracked.
- Once the butter has been melted to separate from the shell, it goes through additional non-chemical processing steps to result in a white and deodorized material.
- Shea nut butter is an extremely popular ingredient used throughout the cosmetic industry due to its highly effective emollient properties. It is used in the manufacturing of lotions, body butters, skin creams, bar soaps, among a number of makeup products such as lip balms.
- Shea nut butter is often used to hydrate dry skin and improve skin elasticity. It is all-natural and may be used topically all over the body.
- Deeply Moisturizing**
- Anti-inflammatory and healing properties **
- This specific Shea nut butter is not only USDA Organic Certified, but also Fair Trade Certified by Fair For Life, ensuring a level of quality is delivered and sustainable practices are in place. Fair For Life is a 3rd party certification agency that assures human rights are protected throughout every stage of production, workers experience fair working conditions, and farmers receive a fair wage of their output. Fair trade benefits farmers by providing better resources and supports a high level of social accountability.
Certified Organic, Cold-Pressed, Hexane-Free Castor Oil
- Castor oil is pressed from Castor Beans. Castor Beans are typically grown in East Africa, while ours originates from India.
- Also called the “Palm of Christ”, castor oil is well-known for stimulating hair-growth and skin-healing.**
Organic, Extra-Virgin, Cold-Pressed Olive Oil
- Olive oil is a liquid fat obtained from olives. Our Olive Oil originates from France.
- Adds softness and strength to hair**
- Acts as an antioxidant**
Organic Moroccan Argan Oil
- Argan oil is produced from the kernels found inside the Argan nut, which is found inside the fruit of the Argan tree. Argan is native to Morocco, which is where our Argan Oil originates from.
- Moisturizes skin**
- Anti-aging effects**
- Improves skin blemishes**
Organic and Fair-Trade Cocoa Butter
- Cocoa Butter is a type of fat that comes from larger Cacao Plants. It is then roasted, stripped and pressed to harness the cocoa butter. Our Cocoa Butter originates from Peru.
- Especially helpful for dry or cracked skin**
- Fights signs of aging**
Organic Golden Jojoba Oil
- Jojoba Oil is produced from the seeds of Jojoba, which is a shrub that grows primarily in warm climates. Our Jojoba Oil originates from Israel.
- Promotes Hair Shine, Sheen, Silkiness, and Reduces Split Ends**
- Abyssinian oil is produced from the Crambe Abyssinica crop which is a multibranched annually-growing oilseed plant. It can be grown in tropical and subtropical regions, our Abyssinian oil originates from Canada.
- Rich in unique hair and skin-loving fatty acids.** These Fatty Acids are known to help have anti-inflammatory effects and aid in skin regeneration.** Namely, Erucic Acid, a monounsaturated Omega-9 fatty acid, is exclusive to Abyssinian oil, which bestows its luxe velvety feel and infinite depth of hydration. These fatty acids unique to abyssinian oil cover the hair shafts as they are silky smooth yet non-absorbable–instead of clogging with heavy oils and engorging the shaft.
- Helps to prevent lines and nourishes dry skin for an anti-aging effect.**
Organic Sesame Seed Oil
- Sesame Seed Oil is derived from the seeds of the flowering sesame plant. Sesame is grown broadly around the world, our oil originates from Mexico.
- Ancient Chinese Ingredient for Promoting Natural Hair Color and Youthful Growth**
- Soothes heat damaged and dry hair**
Organic, USA-Grown Sunflower Oil
- Sunflower oil is extracted from the seeds of the sunflower plant. Most sunflower oil comes from the common sunflower, which is native to North and South America. Our Sunflower oil originates from the Netherlands.
- Contains Oleic Acid, which can aid in stopping hair breakage**
- Anti-inflammatory properties help calm dandruff and itchy scalp**
- Rich in Vitamin E
Organic Sweet Almond Oil
- Almond oil is extracted from the seed of the almond fruit, our almond oil originates from Italy.
- Almond oil use has been used for hundred of years to treat dry skin conditions, including as eczema and psoriasis**
- Enriched with Vitamins E and A, which both are excellent for skin and hair health**
- Helps soothe dry scalp and scalp inflammation**
Organic Virgin, Cold-Pressed Hemp Seed Oil
- Hemp Seed Oil is manufactured from varieties of Cannabis Sativa that do not contain significant amount of THC. The process typically includes cleaning the seed to 99.999% before pressing it into oil. Our Hemp Oil originates from Lithuania.
- Moisturizes hair and promotes growth**
- Aids in faster wound healing, great for dry or damaged skin**
- Anti-inflammatory properties**
Organic Amla Oil
- Amla Oil is a natural remedy that is prepared from the fruit of the Indian Gooseberry Tree. Amla is native to India, which is where our oil originates from.
- Reduces premature color loss from hair**
- Helps to strengthen hair and scalp, stimulating hair growth**
- Helps to reduce hair loss**
Organic Rosehip Oil
- Rosehip Oil, also known as Rosehip Seed oil, is derived from the Rosa Canina Rose Bush. It is pressed from the fruit and seeds of the rose plant. Our Rosehip Oil originates from Bulgaria.
- Abundant in beta-carotene Vitamin A, which is known to help fight against acne, wrinkles, and sun damage**
- Rich in healthy fatty acids, such as oleic acids**
- Contains antioxidants, such as Vitamin C which helps boost collagen, and deeply moisturize the skin**
Organic Apricot Kernel Oil
- Apricot oil is pressed from the kernels of the Prunus armeniaca (apricot). Our Apricot Kernel oil originates from Turkey.
- Helps to maintain softness and radiance of skin and hair**
- Stimulates growth of longer, thicker, and stronger hair by helping eliminate dandruff and scalp conditions**
Organic Baobab Oil
- Baobab Oil is produced from the seeds of the fruits of baobab trees, found in mainland Africa, Madagascar, and Australia. Our Oil originates from South Africa.
- Rich source of omega fatty acids which fight inflammation**
- Anti-inflammatory properties soothe irritation and can even help with skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis**
Organic Borage Seed Oil
- Borage Seed Oil is made from the seeds of the borage plants. Borage is an annual herb native to the Mediterranean region, our oil originates from the UK.
- Deeply nourishing and moisturizing, great for dry skin**
Organic Avocado Oil
- Avocado Oil is pressed from the fruit of the Persea americana (avocado). Our Avocado Oil originates from Kenya.
- Helps stimulate blood flow and unclog blocked hair follicles, which may help in fighting hair loss**
- Deeply moisturizing and nourishing with Vitamin E, potassium, lecithin and many other nutrients**
- Antioxidants and vitamins found in avocado oil may help to heal dry, irritated, and flaky skin**
Organic Neem Oil
- Neem Oil is a vegetable oil obtained from the seed kernels of Neem tree, which is an evergreen of the tropics and sub-tropics. Our Neem oil originates from India.
- A natural anti-fungal, it helps fight against dandruff which is caused by a yeast-like fungus**
- Filled with Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, which are deeply moisturizing and are also a natural method for fighting off dryness**
- With antibacterial properties, it is a good aid in fighting acne and skin blemishes**
Herbal Powders and Minerals
- Kaolin Clay is a cosmetic clay that is rich in silica and with a neutral ph. It has also been referred to as white clay or China clay, is primarily made up of the mineral kaolinite. Kaolin Clay originates from China.
- Great for shaving as the kaolin clay provides a silky-smooth texture with additional detoxifying properties to help tighten skin and reduce inflammation.**
- Protects skin to help eliminate razor burns, bumps, bleeding, and other irritations.**
- Silky Smooth Shave and Detoxifying Effects**
Organic, USA-Grown Aloe Vera
- Aloe Vera is a succulent plant species of the genus Aloe. One of the main plants used in Egyptian medicine since ancient times. It can be found in tropical, semi-tropical, and arid climates around the world. Our certified organic Aloe Vera originates from the deserts of the USA.
- Easily absorbed by the skin, deeply moisturizing**
- Non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t add oil or clog pores**
- Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, it can help reduce inflammation and skin agitation**
- Calms dandruff and scalp irritation with its soothing effects and antibacterial properties. **
- Diatomaceous Earth is made from the fossilized remains of tiny, aquatic organisms called diatoms. Their skeletons are made of a natural substance called silica. Our Diatomaceous Earth is from the USA.
- Almost entirely made of silica, it helps tremendously with hair loss, and healthy hair growth**
- Antimicrobial properties also make it great for topical pests like skin mites, hair lice, fleas and more**
Activated Black Charcoal
- Black Charcoal is made from coal, wood, or other substances. It becomes “activated charcoal” when high temperatures combine with a gas or activating agent to expand its surface area, making it more absorbent. Our heat-activated black charcoal is made from wood in the USA.
- Deeply cleanses impurities, removing toxins and the unwanted oils from the skin and hair**
- Deep cleanses pores, making skin appear tighter and become more blemish free**
- Charcoal naturally pulls out toxins and purifies as it is applied, making it great for dandruff, and or dry and itchy scalp**
- Chickweed is a common weed in the carnation family. It grows low to the ground, has a hairy stem, and produces small, star-shaped, white flowers. It’s primarily found in North America and Europe. Our chickweed was gathered locally or grown here in the USA.
- Soothes and hydrates the scalp, bringing much needed vitamins to the hair such as Vitamin C**
- Has been used for healing and soothing purpose, such as reducing inflammation and fighting germs for centuries**
- Naturally healing and antibacterial, Chickweed can be used as a treatment for the rash caused by poison oak and ivy, and can also help treat minor burns, acne, nettle burns, lesions, and insect bites**
- Jewelweed is a widespread and common plant that occurs in moist, semi-shady areas throughout northern and eastern North American forests. Our Jewelweed is grown in the wild, untouched (except when harvested) and found locally or in the USA. We use the aerial parts of the plant and avoid harvesting the roots for better perennial spread and the fact that this is the usable part of the plant for our purposes.
- A traditional remedy for all sorts of skin ailments including poison ivy**
- Soothes skin**
- Antimicrobial agents make it great for treating skin conditions such as eczema, and can also be useful in treating insect bites on the skin**
Organic Turmeric Powder
- Turmeric powder is an orange/yellow colored spice, that is traditionally called “Indian saffron” or “yellow root”. It comes from the root of the Curcuma Longa plant, and is mainly found in the Middle Eastern and Southeast Asia. Our Turmeric Powder originates in India.
- An ancient spice, that holds special honor in many Indian Weddings due to its ability to make the skin appear brighter and give a beaming glow. This is because of the powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory called curcumin that is found in Turmeric**
- Improves skin complexion, rejuvenates dull-looking skin**
- Stimulates hair growth and thickness**
- Can help reduce appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, scars, and even stretchmarks**
Organic Nettle (Urtica Dioica)
- Nettle, also known as stinging nettle, is a shrub that comes from northern Europe and Asia. Its scientific name is Urtica Dioica. The plant has gorgeous heart-shaped leaves and yellow or pink flowers, yet the stem is covered in tiny, stiff hairs that release stinging chemicals when touched. Edible and nutritious once boiled extensively or gently dried to a crisp texture for tea. Our Nettle originates locally or from any certified organic farmer.
- With naturally nourishing, diuretic, and anti-inflammatory properties, it promotes circulation naturally to the skin and hair**
- It has been used to help clear acne and eczema**
- Encourages thicker, shiner hair, and new hair growth by stimulating the scalp**
Organic Horsetail (“Shavegrass”)
- Horsetail, also sometimes referred to as “Shavegrass”, is a perennial fern that belongs to the genus Equisetaceae. It grows wildly in Northern Europe and America, as well as in other moist places with temperate climates. It has a long, green, and densely branched stem that grows from spring to fall. Our Horsetail is from the USA or directly from our farm.
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties can help with anti-aging and acne irritation, as well as offering many other skin benefits**
- When applied to skin, it can help heal rashes, burns and wounds also thanks to its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties**
Ground Walnut Shell Powder
- Ground Walnut Shell Powder is made using crushed walnut shells, which come from Walnut Trees. Walnut trees grow mostly near the banks of rivers, from Canada to the United States. Our ground walnut shell powder comes from the USA.
- Works to fight against rough and flaky skin by being a natural exfoliant.
- The extract is used with many skin issues such as acne, eczema, blisters, and even ringworm**
- The extract is often used to treat skin conditions that occur as a result of fungal infection*
Pumice Sand Powder
- Pumice powder is made from pumice, a kind of igneous rock that is formed when a volcano erupts. Pumice is high in silica, iron, and magnesium. Basalt is a gray to black fine-grained volcanic rock that is often the origin of pumice. This type of rock forms the pumice stones often found in Washington, Oregon and Idaho. Basalt is the most abundant rock on earth, making up the majority of the bottom of the sea.
- Pumice can be found all across North America including on the Caribbean Islands. In the United States, pumice is mined in Nevada, Oregon, and various other western states. Our Pumice Powder originates in the USA.
- A naturally abrasive and porous exfoliator, it is found in most cosmetic products used to remove dead skin cells and revive the skin**
- While it is exfoliating and rough, it acts effectively in the sense that is does not adversely affect the skin**
- Calendula is a genus of about 15–20 species of annual and perennial herbaceous plants in the daisy family. They are native to southwestern Asia, western Europe, Macaronesia, and the Mediterranean. Our Calendula is grown in the USA.
- An annual flower used to heal skin since ancient times**
- Hydrates dry scalp**
- Helps remove dandruff**
- Regenerative properties help hair grow thicker**
- Antioxidants help protect hair**
Organic Witch Hazel Bark or Extract
- Witch Hazel Bark or extract consists of the dried bark of the trunk and branches of the witch hazel plant. Witch Hazel is a genus of flowering plants in the family Hamamelidaceous, with four species in North America, and one each in Japan and China. The North American species are occasionally called winter bloom. Our Witch Hazel comes from the USA.
- Powerful anti-inflammatory, reduces inflammation, redness, and can be used as an acne treatment**
- Helps to reduce scalp sensitivity, irritation, and even reduces oiliness in hair**
- Can help reduce the visibility of aging in skin by tightening skin to reduce fine lines and improving skin tone**
- Natural astringent, which tightens the pores and skin to appear smoother**
- Sulfuric acid is produced from sulfur, oxygen and water via the contact process. Sulfur is a chemical element. Our Sulfuric Acid comes from the USA.
- Helps to distribute collagens, leading to healthier hair growth**
- Anti-parasitic, making it good for treating mites, and lice**
- Can help alleviate or eliminate skin conditions such as rosacea and acne**
Organic Gotu Kola Powder
- Gotu Kola is a perennial plant native to India, Japan, China, Indonesia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, and the South Pacific. It is a member of the parsley family, and has no taste or smell. It typically thrives around water and has small fan-shaped green leaves with white or light purple flowers and small oval fruit . Our Gotu Kola comes from India.
- Helps to promote blood flow to the scalp**
- By increasing circulation to the scalp, follicles will get the rejuvenation needed to promote hair growth**
- Encourages hair to grow faster than normal, while maintaining its health and thickness**
Organic Tapioca Flour
- Tapioca flour is made from the starch extracted from the Cassava plant. Cassava is a woody shrub that is native to South America. Our Tapioca Flour is from Thailand.
- Is known to help clear acne scars as well as spots on your skin**
- Detoxifies skin, leaving it to become clearer and cleaner**
- We use this in small amounts for a matte finish upon skin application of our lotion bars.
Organic Spirulina Powder
- Spirulina Powder comes from Spirulina, which is a type of blue-green micro-algae that’s grown and harvested from very alkaline water sources. Our Spirulina originates from China.
- Antibacterial properties**
- High in protein, fatty acids and iron, these nutrients are key in promoting healthy hair growth**
- High content of Vitamin A, Vitamin B-12, Vitamin E, calcium, iron and phosphorus, which are all vital for healthy skin, making skin appear toned and youthful**
- External use of spirulina can speed up hair growth, and help with hair re-growth**
Organic Horse Chestnut
- The horse chestnut is a species of flowering plant in the soapberry and lychee family Sapindaceae. It is a large deciduous, synoecious tree, that is native to the Balkan Peninsula. Our Horse Chestnut originates from Hungary.
- Contains Aescin, which is helpful in decreasing size of pores and increasing circulation in the skin**
- Known to be effective at lessening the appearance of dimpled skin**
- Anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant Properties**
Organic Cacao Powder
- Cacao powder is made by cold-pressing raw cacao beans, while cocoa powder is made from beans that have been roasted when processed. Cacao, also called cocoa, is a tropical evergreen tree that is typically grown for its edible seeds. Cacao trees are usually found in shady areas, especially in the rainforest. Our Cacao Powder originates from Peru.
- Free-radical-fighting antioxidants help to protect the skin from premature aging**
- Helps hair maintain softness and moisture**
- Can be used as a gentle exfoliant**
Organic Milk Thistle Seed Powder
- Milk Thistle Seed is mostly known for the natural compound that is in it, known as silymarin. The silymarin is extracted from the plant’s seeds, and is believed to have antioxidant properties. Milk Thistles are native to the Mediterranean region and grow wild throughout the countryside’s of Europe, North America and Australia. Our Milk Thistle originates from Bulgaria.
- Contains antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, that promote fast healing and regeneration of the skin**
- Promotes healthy hair by preventing hair loss and strengthening hair follicles**
- Can be used to treat many skin conditions such as eczema and acne**
- Nourishes and improves skin elasticity**
- Bamboo Powder is derived from solidified silica-containing material from bamboo stems (Bambusa arundinacea) and then milled to yield a fine powder. Bamboos are evergreen perennial flowering plants in the subfamily Bambusoideae of the grass family Poaceae. It is grown in the tropical and subtropical regions of Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our Bamboo Powder originates from the USA.
- Rich source of Silica, which promotes healthy skin and hair**
- Contains Biotin**
- Increases collagen, making skin appear brighter**
- Deeply Moisturizing**
- Can help slow or stop hair shedding**
Organic Comfrey Leaf
- Comfrey is a shrub that grows in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. It can grow up to 5 feet tall, and produces clusters of purple, blue, and white flowers. It is best known for its long, slender leaves and black-skinned roots. Our comfrey originates from our own farm or a certified organic grower.
- The tannin in Comfrey acts as anti-inflammatory and astringent agents, which help shrink pores**
- Can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles**
- Can help prevent hair issues such as dryness, dandruff and breakage of the hair**
- Nourishing, deeply moisturizing**
Other Solid Ingredients
- Cetearyl alcohol is a chemical. It’s a white, waxy substance made from cetyl alcohol and stearyl alcohol, both fatty alcohols. They’re found in animals and plants, like coconut and palm oil. Our alcohol is from the USA.
- Cetearyl alcohol helps prevent creams from separating into oil and liquid. A chemical that helps to keep liquid and oil together is known as an emulsifier. It may also make a product thicker or increase the product’s ability to foam.
- We only use this for our conditioner bars.
BTMS (Behentrimonium Methyl Sulfate)
- Despite the full name of BTMS, it is actually a non-sulfate. It is a conditioning emulsifier used in hair and skin care. It is naturally derived from Colza oil. Colza is a non-drying oil obtained from the seeds of rapeseed. Our BTMS is from the USA.
- It is prized for its effective detangling abilities. It’s able to penetrate the hair shaft making it an excellent moisturizer and conditioner, while remaining gentle on the hair and skin, without coating the scalp or causing buildup.
- We only use this for our conditioner bars.
Non-GMO Citric Acid
- Citric Acid occurs naturally in citrus fruits. It is a weak organic acid. Our Citric Acid is from the USA.
- Citric acid, along with baking soda, are the two main ingredients in our bath bombs. The combination creates the fizzy reaction when the bath bomb is introduced to water.
- We only use this for our bath bombs.
Other Liquid Ingredients
- Colloidal silver is the term used to describe tiny particles of silver suspended in a liquid. Our Colloidal silver is from the USA.
- Rich in Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, this makes it ideal for soothing dry, sensitive, and acne prone skin**
- Anti-fungal benefits help to protect the skins barrier**
- Magnesium is a chemical element that is found in large deposits in minerals. Magnesium oil is made from a mixture of magnesium chloride flakes and water. The sea contains trillions of tons of magnesium, and our oil actually originates from the ancient Zechstein seabed in the Netherlands.
- Helps to promote follicle hair growth, resulting in healthier longer hair**
- Known as natures anti-stress mineral, which is another major component in reducing hair loss**
Organic Raw-Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar is made by chopping apples, covering them with water and leaving them at room temperature until the natural sugars ferment and form ethanol. Bacteria then convert this alcohol into acetic acid. Our Apple Cider Vinegar is from the USA.
- Rich in vitamins and minerals that are naturally good for your hair, like Vitamins C and B**
- Contains alpha-hydroxy which helps to exfoliate scalp skin**
- Anti-inflammatory, helps with dandruff and other scalp and skin issues**
- Rich in organic acids, such as acetic acid, which has been shown to be effective in stopping bacterial growth and destroying bacterial biofilms**
- Antimicrobial properties, help reduce acne breakouts when used as a part of a daily skin care routine**
Natural Vitamin E
- Natural Vitamin E is derived from vegetable oils, primarily soybean oil. Our Vitamin E oil is from the USA.
- Antioxidant properties are known to help reduce oxidative stress in the scalp, ultimately preventing hair loss**
- Improves scalp circulation**
- Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties**
- Can help reduce inflammation and make skin appear younger**
- Steam-distilled or cold-pressed directly from natural plant sources.
- The volatile (gaseous) essence of a plant contained in liquid form.
- Therapeutic-Grade quality
Phthalate-Free Fragrance Oils
- Made in a lab with chemicals that mimic scents naturally found in plant oleoresins.
- Certified Phthalate-Free for higher quality and less questionable ingredients.
- Certified skin-safe and crafted by some of the top skincare fragrance producers in the world.
- Fragrance ingredients are a “trade secret”, protected and approved by the FDA. The INCI (International Nomenclature of Cosmetic Ingredients) of fragrance oils are simply “fragrance” and give absolutely no more information, even from the top companies in the world.
- Fragrances have only been made and used en-masse since Paris in the very late 1800’s.
- While we believe that NO fragrances or essential oils are probably healthier than fragranced products, there are many unknown and untested factors about the very long-term use in human populations although they were introduced over 130 years ago.
- We believe that it is up to the consumer to take on the possible risks and responsibilities of using products labeled as “fragranced” since this is what most people now-a-days prefer and desire *more than anything* when choosing bodycare products.
- We like to focus most on supporting our local farmers and using a natural product base than try to convince the masses about the possible side-effects of using fragrances when it is mostly unknown and unproven.
- We provide as much information as possible about the nature of our ingredients, but if you would ever like to know exactly where we get our ingredients from so you can do your own deep research on a specific product, please ask!
Naturally Derived Fragrance Oils
- Made by processing and chemically concentrating natural materials to isolate the naturally occurring oleoresins.
- A more natural alternative to fragrance oils.
- Most of our clays are used primarily for natural color in soap, yet some do have beneficial skin and hair benefits similar to the Kaolin Clay.
Pure, Non-GMO, Non-Nano Food-Grade Titanium Dioxide
- Titanium dioxide is used as a natural mineral pigment in our soaps. It is most commonly used to transform the soap from cream to white, or to lighten other colors.
- It is used only for coloring purposes in soap. Since it is a wash-off product, soaps colored with titanium dioxide will not act as sunscreen on the skin.
- Titanium dioxide is listed as a possible carcinogen if and only if the powder is inhaled in large quantities over a long period of time.
- Many of the best and most organic natural sunscreens use titanium dioxide in amount of 25% or more of their formula, which sits on the skin all day.
- We use less than 0.1% (<1/1000) of titanium dioxide in our formula to achieve a bright white color, so most of the time we actually use less than that!
- Iron Oxide pigments are mined from the earth or synthetically made in a lab (lab-made is actually safer and more ethical).
- We only use Iron Oxide as a colorant for our natural soaps.
Nature-Identical Mica Mineral Pigments
- Mica pigments are mineral-based colors that lend themselves beautifully to any soap-making process. They are non-toxic and safe and based in a silica-rich mineral called mica.
- Mica is the name of a group of naturally occurring Earth’s minerals which are mined from around the world, purified, and crushed into fine powders.
- It is used for coloring our soaps, lotion bars, conditioner bars and shampoo bars.
- EnviroGlitter is a very lightweight glittery fine mica-based glitter that can be added to soaps for an amazing sparkle.
- It is certified biodegradable!
- We use EnviroGlitter primarily as a sparkly dusting on tops of soaps or to stamp soaps with.
** Statements not approved by the FDA. Not intended to cure, treat, or prevent any disease.